Sunday 30 June 2013

Bula Vinaka! Hello and welcome to my blog on my life in Suva, Fiji!








My partner Olivia and I arrived in Suva airport on 24/6/2013 for the start of a 2 year stint in Suva. Olivia has a role with the UN Women’s program through VSA which is the basis of this little jaunt into the Pacific and myself, well I’m keeping an eye out for an exciting job but I can’t say I’m in much of a hurry. I’m on Fiji time!!






Most flights come into Nadi, but several flights a week come directly into Suva from New Zealand and we were lucky enough to jump on a direct flight. Getting off the plane, the heat wasn’t as intense as expected, it’s actually quite nice but the immigration and customs was like nothing I had ever seen!




It was the biggest line I had been in in a while, but 40 minutes and a shoe inspection later we were catching a ride into Suva! 

The airport is around 20k’s out and the road conditions stop vehicles in most places exceeding 70k’s so plan a little extra time to get around, the drive takes you through the outskirts though and there is plenty to look at! Most houses are painted some pretty vibrant colours, a theme that continues throughout the country and is different from anywhere I’ve seen before. Expect maybe Matai!






Housing
Housing is somewhat expensive in Suva, we are living in a 2 bedroom apartment in Central Suva (under 15minute’s walk to the main part of town) which runs at around $2500FJD. This is pretty good for a modest 2 bedroom place, and what it lacks in hot water (there is none) it makes up for in being above the Tsunami line! BONUS! Security is also a key issue in housing; we have barred windows, dead bolts on doors and security gates. Also, the entire complex is gated (all of which is totally normal here) and a lot of complexes offer round the clock guards. You can get your own personal house guard for around $50FJD a week… That’s for a good one that doesn’t sleep on the job!



Around Town and the Markets
The first thing you will notice when you go exploring is the amount of people that will say hi to you as you walk past. Bula is Fijian for hello, and you will hear it a lot walking around as people are super friendly.
While there are plenty of malls with everything you could ever want (pricier than NZ in regard to most things that are imported) and a few bulk stores similar to NZ’s ‘The Warehouse’ where you really want to go and explore are the markets!























Three pineapples for $5FJD? 80cFJD for a coconut? More than you can eat from the huge array of small food stalls for less than $5FJD? Yes please! (Please note, when a Fijian-Indian says it’s salty, he means your tongue will shrivel on the first bite. Don’t worry though, once you stop gagging it’s quite delicious and throughout the market they sell cups of fresh fruit juice for around 30c a cup.)
With a fish market beside the main market (beside the Suva bus station, along the waterfront street if you look on a map) you can eat like a local. Which is pretty damn good! And it’s so cheap! Upstairs of the main market is where they sell Kava (get the root itself not the powdered stuff which has less kick and is seen as cheap if you give it as a gift to a local), more spices than you can shake a coconut at and loads of things I don’t have word to describe!
If you are like me, and whipping up a curry is easy if it comes in a jar then never fear! Just ask at the market what it is, how you kill it, skin it and cook it! I asked a Indian lady what spices she would recommend to make a curry and 20 minutes later we were great friends, I knew exactly what spice to use for what, how to make a kick-ass curry and her cell phone number in case I had any questions! I LOVE FIJI!



Oh yea, don’t forget the flea market, its 100m north of the main market on the other side of the street. It’s the best place to get your hand woven mats, bowl’s baskets, tapa cloth etc etc. Oh yea, and coffins. They do great rates on coffins....





Security
While some people were worried I was going to be robbed, mugged and used as a scratching post I have found Suva to be relatively safe. I’m not saying I recommend having your camera around your neck while walking around at night holding a map and going down dark alleys… but with taking reasonable care I feel perfectly safe! I try not to have anything in my pockets in town, and when it’s crowded I usually carry my bag in front of me. That’s not from any bad experience here, it’s just habit.
Still, after dark take a taxi! They are everywhere, super cheap and metered so you don’t have to haggle over every taxi ride! I have been told by locals that walking around at night is fine if there is more than one of you, but I might not risk that just yet. I’ll keep you posted :P

Vinaka vaka levu, Sa moce! Thanks for reading and catch you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment